Press Enter

PROJECT TITLE

    Press Enter

    NOTIFICATIONS

    Interview With Freelance Writer Gina Horkey

    Interview With Freelance Writer Gina Horkey

    Gina Horkey Freelance Writer Interview | SparkWrite.io

    Recently, our CEO Kayli had the pleasure of chatting with Gina Horkey, a freelance writer from Minnesota.

    In this interview, Gina shares her story and her secrets on how she got started with freelance writing. Gina was able to build a thriving freelance business and quit her job as a financial advisor in just 8 months. Learn how she did it, and get her tips on how you can do it too. Listen below:

    This was a great conversation and Gina shared so many actionable tips for freelance writers to start getting more clients. A few highlights stand out.

    On Getting Started

    Gina made the decision to quit her job as a financial advisor in the spring of 2014 with the intention of making the leap in 1 year. She was able to do it in 8 months while raising two small kids and working full time.

    “I was very focused on my highest ROI activity – which comes down to pitching. If you don’t market yourself you’re not going to get any clients!”

    Gina focused on sending 10 quality pitches every week. She also took the time to lay a solid foundation for her business by pitching for 5-10 guest posts every week and focusing on reaching to other bloggers and writers to build her network.

    “You need to focus on what will pay the bills first – getting paid client work. Do that first, or use 80% of your time for that activity. But use the other 20% for future stuff. You have to treat yourself like a client to build up your own business and website.”

    On Finding Those First Clients

    Gina got her start the way many of us do, by browsing job boards for opportunities.

    “I used job boards. I know that a lot of experts in our field aren’t fond of them… but for me, it was an easy place to get started because there were people that were actively looking for a writer and that appealed to me because I just needed to sell myself as the right fit. I got about 90% of my clients from job boards in the beginning. Then I went on to other methods like asking for referrals, and cold pitching.”

    On Choosing A Niche

    Gina Horkey Freelance Writer SparkWrite Interview Quote

    Gina gave me some great tips on how to pick a niche, which she goes into in depth in her freelance writing course 30 Days Or Less To Freelance Writing Success. She also shared a great trick for easily finding clients in your niche.

    Gina is a brilliant freelancer and has built up an incredible business that she loves. She now writes part time while also freelancing as a virtual assistant. Gina also has courses available on her website to help others achieve the kind of results she has. If you want to learn more from Gina about building a booming writing business, check out her course 30 Days Or Less To Freelance Writing Success. Registration is only open until November 4th so act fast.

    Links

    Gina Horkey is a married, millennial mama to two precocious toddlers from Minnesota. Additionally, she’s a professional writer and online business marketing consultant with a decade of experience in the financial services industry. Gina enjoys helping other freelancers gear up to quit their day jobs and take their side hustles full-time via her website, Horkey HandBook.

    Comment